Boomer Part 1: Do I Have To Add Calcium To Fish?
I give Boomer boneless raw fish occasionally for dinner with the veggies, instead of meat (today it was 'sole'. I assume it's okay to give him raw fish occasionally (he loves it as did our previous dog, Teddy), but I'm wondering if I need to give the calcium with raw fish which I know is necessary with raw meat? I have been adding the calcium with the fish.
When it comes to any raw meat, the calcium should be added and this includes fish.
The only time the calcium does not need to be added is when the food being fed is a whole prey. An example would be if a cat catches a mouse or a bird... or if a dog catches a rabbit.
Only with whole prey are all of the nutrients naturally there, including calcium. The primary source for calcium in the meat is blood. But the meats we buy, including fish, are drained of blood. Therefore, we must add an external source of calcium.
I personally feed my cats raw fish all the time but the fish I feed is whole... brains, guts, skin, bones, blood... everything from head to tail. So with this type of fish, no calcium is needed... many people feed raw meat and bones thinking they are feeding enough calcium, but they are missing the fact that the meat has been drained of blood. So even raw meat and bones need calcium added to the meat. Only when the meat is whole prey is calcium not needed.
Questions That Have Been Asked
- Ask Jesse
- How Can I Help My Cat Eat More?
- Is Feeding Chicken With Bones A Good Source of Calcium, Iron and Potassium?
- Part 1: Meet Bekkie Boo Boo and Her Ear Mites
- Part 2: Bekkie Boo Boo Has Had Cystitis Before
- Part 3: Can I Feed Too Much Raw Meat or Protein
- Part 4: Things Make Sense
- Part 5: Can I Feed Later at Night?
- Part 6: She Caught A Mouse — I'm Concerned About Parasites
- Part 7: She Likes Meat Straight From The Package
- Helping Others Help Their Pets With Love
- Boomer Part 2: Cooked Meat and Calcium
- Boomer Part 3: Should You Change The Diet As A Pet Gets Older
- Boomer Part 4: How Often Can I Feed Raw Fish
- Three Questions About Calcium For Pets
- What Can Be Done To Help Severe Demodectic Mange?
- Nancy Question 1 — What Cut of Beef Should I Feed?
- Nancy Question 2 — My Dog Has Bad Gas!
- Calcium Citrate versus Ground Egg Shells
- Diatomaceous earth and worms